Wednesday, May 20, 2009

function..

lately i've been thinking about and talking to God a lot about the purpose for which he created me.. why am i in this earth? what is my function? which part of the body am i? when i dream about my future in ministry.. i dream about worship.. i feel at home when i'm up there singing to God.. so when i dream.. i dream about spending all my time leading multitudes of free sons and daughters with one heart and one mind.. to the throne room of the most high.. in every nation..  

i currently get to lead worship every week.. sometimes several times a week.. which works out great because that is my favorite way to serve.. i feel like i was made to sing to God.. and teach others how to do the same.. the Lord has set me free... and i want to see everyone else set free as well.. but right now.. as i'm getting settled into my administrative job at new life.. i'm learning more and more that sometimes God asks us to do things that we're not good at... and God didn't necessarily design me to do the sort of tasks that i do day in and day out... now, he has most certainly made me capable of doing them.. but as time goes on and i spend my days behind this desk.. i realize that i am not designed for this sort of work... it's like using a pearl necklace as a bookmark.. or playing tennis with a ping-pong paddle.. it is functional.. it might even get the job done.. but the pearl necklace and the ping pong paddle were intended for something else... they function better in a different setting.. (maybe these weren't the best analogies.. but i was coming up short)

I am not at all posting this blog to complain.. in fact, let me just take a minute to praise God for the opportunity of working at New Life.. i absolutely love working for this church.. i always want to work in the house of the lord... no question there.. with that said.. the Lord is really challenging me with this job.. before i took on my position with new life.. i would have described myself as the least administrative person on planet earth.. my brain works in a sporadic series of colors, pictures, and song lyrics.... and this job requires my brain to think in terms of lists, spreadsheets, contact information, and mass emails... needless to say, i mess up a lot..  and it taxes every ounce of brain power that i can come up with to stay focused on the things i do throughout the day.. because my brain just doesn't work that way... 

but God is faithful.. and he uses the people around me to encourage me to know that God has trusted me with this job for a reason.. and He believes I can do it.. even though i'm not the most administrative person.. that doesn't mean i can't learn how to be.. we are all capable of learning to do things we couldn't do before.. and a very wise person with a brain similar to mine once told me that even creative people need to learn to be organized and administrative... it makes for a very efficient and effective creative mind... one of the best kinds of minds :) 

so it turns out that the difficult parts of this job are simply making me better.. i love that. and when the tasks seem menial and mundane.. i can just know that i am working for the Lord.. and not for men... and one day.. in the right timing.. the Lord will trust me with the purpose he had in mind when he crafted me together with my strengths and weaknesses... until then.. i will work at whatever i do with all my heart.. 

Colossians 3:23-24

"whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.."


trusting always.. 

 

2 comments:

Britt said...

What a great message Callie...I am encouraged to remain faithful with what God has given me now, and in His timing those things I dream to do will happen...as long as I am a good steward with the now.

Rebecca said...

i feel like you just wrote a post about my life story.
so, needless to say, i understand exactly where you are at.
thank God that He knows too. and praise Him that he is directing our steps. even when we don't know where we are stepping.