Friday, March 27, 2009

sing and play...

i grew up to the sound of a my dad's low voice humming a melody just over the quiet music of his old spanish acoustic guitar.. one of the most soothing sounds imaginable.. i love to hear my dad sing and play... he sings like an angel and taught himself how to play.. but my dad's not one of those guys that gets out his guitar in large groups of people so everybody can hear him be talented.. he's more prone to play when he thinks nobody's listening.. 

i can remember sitting in my dad's lap when i was probably about 4 years old and having him pick out various songs on the guitar at my request so i could sing along while he played.. you know.. classics like mary had a little lamb and ring around the rosie... and my dad would just play and sing with me.. i wish i had it on video... it's one of my favorite memories.. 

and when i was about the age of 5 until i was.. maybe 10? my dad was in a band.. i actually have a lot of childhood memories sitting at  tables with my mom and sister in a bars sipping on shirley temples with cherries in the bottom (no alcohol.. duh) and clapping for my daddy after every song.. his band was called 'the hole in the wall gang'.. i still don't know what that name means.. anyway, it was my dad and two of his friends steve and joebob.. they sang a bunch of old songs.. the other two guys usually sang lead while my dad sang low harmony.. but my dad always sang brown eyed girl. and it was my song because back then i had brown eyes (i think they're hazel now.. but my driver's license says green.. hm.)... and every time they played that song i felt like a princess because they were playing it for me :) also.. my dad played base.. i always thought that the base was really cool because it looked cooler on stage than the acoustic guitars the other two guys were playing... it was red.. and more hardcore :) as far as i was concerned my dad was a rockstar.. haha... anyway.. i digress.. my dad is musical and i love it.. 

right now i live at home with my parents.. (im thinking of moving out into a little house in downtown conway with my old roommate katy pretty soon.. which i am VERY excited about.. stay tuned for more details in that arena) but living at home definitely has its perks.. one being free groceries and no rent... another being that at any given time of day.. my dad can be heard throughout the house singing and playing his guitar.. the mellow background music of my life :) one time he was alone in the living room and i don't think he knew i was listening from around the corner.. i heard him playing and singing the song "you make me feel like a natural woman" by the great Aretha Franklin.. haha.. cutest thing ever!  anyway.. hearing my dad sing makes me smile.. it's something i'll always love about him.. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this post is one of my favorites. and i when can we go to that "alligator place" and hear your dad's band. and don't tell anyone, but i'm going to drink a beer while we're there.

Anonymous said...

oh man, how i miss that about being home. i always hope that when i go home daddy'll start singin, and yes... i too have heard the occasional 'you make me feel like a natural woman'... oh daddy. i love when he sings 'somewhere over the rainbow', it's one of my all time favorites. But of course, nothing makes me feel tiny like when daddy sings 'winnie the pooh'. I had my own little guitar that had a light switch where cords would have been and i could play that song almost as well as daddy... i tried anyway. :) so glad i get to share these memories with you... and that you'll always know what i'm talking about. :)